- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled
- 16 ounces / 460 g each peeled tomatoes, drained
- Fine sea salt
- 1 pound / 500 g dried tajarin (tagliolini)
- Large bunch of fresh basil, leaves chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until lightly golden. about 3 minutes.
- Crush the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the saucepan. Stir well and add 1/2 cup / 120 ml water. Cook for 20 minutes to reduce. Season with salt.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, return the tomato sauce to medium heat. Reserving a ladle of pasta water, drain the pasta and add the pasta and the reserved pasta water to the sauce. Toss for 20 seconds until coated.
- Just before serving, add the chopped basil and serve immediately.